Monday, March 1, 2010

Cold Feet

You can’t truly appreciate what it means to have “cold feet” until you are facing it dead in the face. All I can tell you is that whether you are the one with cold feet or the one wondering if your partner has cold feet, the general feeling is the same: PANIC.

Being a participant on both ends of the feet, I have to say that getting it from both ways is NOT as enjoyable as it sounds. (HA!) The sheer panic and indecisiveness that you feel is paralyzing. You are scared to make a decision on anything. So while you are feeling doubt, the vendors don’t know this and they continue to persist. They are asking how the happy plans are coming along and in the meantime, you are panicked.

Sadly, one vendor emailed me so many times during this time, I actually emailed her back and told her we broke it off and thanked her for reminding me of my pain…needless to say, I have never heard from her again.

So you think you are the ones that has cold feet? Well, this is a big decision. There are so many thoughts running through your head at any given point in time:

Do I love this person enough?

Do I not love this person enough?

Should I talk to him/her about this?

What if we weren’t meant to be together?

What if after we get married, I want to run away?

What’s my problem anyway? Is playing the singles games really that much more fun? Well, yeah, that was a lot of fun. But that was also pretty lonely too.

What exactly am I unsure of?

I wonder if s/he is feeling the same way?

If we break up, what does that mean for where I live etc?

In the same token, you are suspecting your partner of cold feet. You have an equal number of thoughts running through your head:

Is our love strong enough for this kind of turmoil?

Is s/he planning on talking to me about this?

Is this moodiness because of the wedding or because s/he is unsure if s/he wants to go through with the wedding?

If we go through with the wedding, does that mean s/he is really sure?

Do I really want to be someone that is unsure if they love me enough now?

What if we have kids and then s/he decides that they don’t want to stay?

Is it really worth this aggravation?

If we break up, what does that mean for where I live etc?

For us, we have a happy ending to the cold feet story. And in the end, we are stronger and happier than we were before what I like to call the “foot incident.”

No comments:

Post a Comment